Creamy Chicken Zoodles


Hi all! You know those amazing viral cooking tutorials that you see on Facebook? 1. Those are so fun, I'm obsessed. 2. While usually I say "yum" and scroll passed, this time I felt compelled to actually make the dish! It looked so good! However, it was seriously calorie loaded- and NOT the good kind of calorie! 

The dish that was calling my name was originally called "Creamy Lemon Butter Chicken Spaghetti" and it originated from Twisted Food. I looked amazing as is, but Matthew and I actually eat pretty well these days, so I knew I'd have to fix a few things before I could make it for my fam in good conscience. 

Two of the original ingredients were spaghetti and heavy cream. BOTH of which we do not eat (apart from special occasions of course). So I switched the spaghetti noodles for zucchini noodles and the heavy cream for almond milk. By simply switching these two ingredients I took out approximately 1,500 calories!! OMG! So while there are still a few ingredients that add a good few calories that I didn't switch, I felt MUCH better about what I was serving over all. 

Here is how the recipe ended up:

Ingredients:
olive oil
2 chopped chicken breasts
salt and pepper
2 tbsp butter
1 diced white onion
2 minced cloves of garlic
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne (I actually used way less, like 1/4 tsp)
1 cup almond milk
2 cups spinach (or more)
1/2 cup grated parmesan
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp chopped parsley
3 average sized zucchini, spiralized


Process:
1. Heat olive oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add the chopped chicken breast and sprinkle on salt and pepper. Cook until cooked through. Set chicken breast aside. 

2. Add 2 tbsp of butter to the same pan and melt. Add diced onions and 2 minced garlic cloves to the pan and cook until the onions are soft. Add 1/4 cup tomato paste, 1 tsp paprika, 1/2 (or 1/4 lol) tsp cayenne pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for around 5 minutes. 


3. Add in almond milk and spinach and stir to just combine. Let the pan simmer for about a minute, then add in 1/2 cup grated parmesan, the juice of a lemon, 1 tsp chopped parsley, and the chicken that you had set aside earlier. Again, stir until combined. Lastly add in the zucchini noodles and stir until completely coated with the sauce. 


Enjoy!

I love making quick meals like this that are very filling and still (relatively) good for you! If you have tried any quick and healthy meals recently send them my way! Thank you for reading!

  




Comments